Benefits of Participating in JMEC
The Japan Market Expansion Competition (JMEC) provides an excellent opportunity for individuals living and working in Japan to improve their business skills and learn about doing business in Japan. For anyone considering an MBA in Japan, or even for those that already have an MBA, JMEC offers the advantage of hands-on experience writing a real business plan for a company that is seeking to enter or expand into the Japanese market.
JMEC participants join the program for a variety of reasons. Some are foreigners who join to learn more about the Japanese business environment. Some have been in Japan for a number of years and want to change jobs, but need to build their network first. Some are Japanese who want to learn more about working for a foreign company in Japan, and some want to learn how to write a business plan so they can start their own company someday.
Regardless of why participants join JMEC, each leaves the program with an expanded network of contacts and an experience they will not soon forget. In addition, participants:
- Acquire valuable business knowledge through a series of lectures and workshops delivered by experienced executives. Topics include, but are not limited to, market research, finance & accounting, distribution, project management, advertising & public relations, group dynamics, entrepreneurship, presentation skills and business plan writing.
- Gain practical, hands-on knowledge while researching and writing a business plan for a company in, or planning to enter into, the Japanese market.
- Get insights into the culture and practices of companies in Japan.
- Develop group dynamic skills while working in a competitive, multi-national team environment.
- Broaden their network of friends and professional contacts.
- Gain time management, team management and project management skills.
- Have the chance to win valuable prizes.
- Receive a certificate upon completion of the program.
While benefits of participation are numerous, the program demands a commitment of time and energy from each participant. Participants must be ready to dedicate the time and effort necessary to complete a quality, professional business plan. This often requires approximately 250 hours over the course of five months. However, those that do fully commit to the program find the experience invaluable.
If you are interested in becoming a participant, please consider attending an information session. They are held each fall and give potential participants the opportunity to find out more about the program, to meet fellow potential participants and to meet program alumni. For upcoming information session dates and to register, click here.